Mole Rats in Space is one of our favourite cooperative games. It helps develop social skills, understanding of the “etiquette” required when playing games and positive interaction with others all while playing a fun board game.
Mole Rats in Space is one of our favourite cooperative games. It helps develop social skills and positive interactions with others – all while playing a fun board game.
Mole Rats in Space is a cross between snakes and ladders and ladders. Players (astronauts) ands snakes can go up ladders or down air vents. All astronauts have to get to the space shuttle along with the 4 items collected – food, first aid, hygiene pack and tool kit.
There is a little strategy involved as:
- the astronauts have to be careful not to cross the path of a snake – lest they be bitten. All astronauts do get one lot of anti-venom each, which they can use ONCE – but beware, if they get bitten twice it is game over for everyone
- players need to collect all the items and put them into the astronaut backpacks in order to take them to the space shuttle, so movement around the board needs to factor this in
- players can try to rid the board of as many snakes as possible by having then land on an air vent to shoot them into outer space
We have played this game so many times. It is loads of fun. The kids LOVE getting bitten by a snake and using their anti- venom hahaha (not sure that is the aim of the game, but the kids think it is hilarious). They also love shooting snakes out into the black hole of outer space.
There is ONE way to win – by working together to get all the 4 astronauts and the 4 items to the space shuttle in the middle of the board.
There are FOUR ways to lose:
- running out of cards
- an astronaut lands on an air vent which sends them into outer space
- an astronaut is bitten by a snake and has used all their anti venom
- a snake makes its way into the space shuttle
If any of these 4 things occur, the game is over and the snakes win! The whole idea is to work together to ensure the astronauts collect the 4 items, get to the space shuttle and win the game.
What we love about Mole Rats in Space
- fabulous cooperative game that has everyone plotting and working out the best moves together
- a visual planning and strategy game (you need to plot in your mind the moves to see if you will run into a snake, hit an air vent, go up a ladder or end up in outer space)
- the kids LOVE the whole idea of the snake bites and the anti-venom
- we just never get sick of it!
There is also a bonus extension pack included. That said, we have played this game so many times, the kids love it and we havn’t yet needed to add the extension pack.
Suitable for 2 – 4 players and for 7yrs+
It takes about 20 minutes to play.
- Sold Out!
- Sold Out!